Tuesday, 5 March 2013

*Living Retro by Andrew Weaving*

 
*
A few weeks ago I was happy to be sent
Living Retro by Andrew Weaving to review.
In this book gallery owner and expert on mid-century modern design Andrew Weaving visits inspiring and varied homes around the world that showcase the very best of retro style.
*
My husband James had his hands on this book before I could even take a peek!
On opening the book James noticed a room with a large scale Franz Kline painting!
That had him hooked!
He then proceeded to flip through the book & show me snippets of fab styled rooms ~ the rooms he knows I'm going to love!!!!
*
*
On page 46 he shows me the very kitch style yellow & green room & exclaims 'you love that!' and yes indeed I do!!!!
*
*
On page 66 he shows me a wonderful all white room which he knows I will love completely due to my addiction to white!!!
He almost immediately shows me a very lovely white kitchen on page 70 which has really great lighting!
*
*
When he gets to page 86 he shows me the featured bedroom & exclaims 'you love that yellow' and yes once again indeed I do!!!!
He knows me so well!
*giggle*
I have a bit of a penchant for yellow ~ I think we had a super yellow kitchen when I was a child in the 70's & it always seemed so sunny & bright!
 
James goes on to show me the 'Fabulous Pre-fab House' which we remember seeing on 'Grand Designs'!
 
Throughout the book he notices the artwork ~ well he is an artist afterall!!! By this time I can't wait to flick through the book myself!!!!
*
*
On page 18-19 I find a rather wonderful bedroom & home!
So bright & cheery! I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do this in our home, but this house had all the original fittings such as the orange dressing room so I don't think I would take them out either if it was mine!
*
*
I loved the author's home on page 30 too!
*
*
I also found I fell in love with these chairs which were featured on page 40 & also appear on the front cover too!
*
*
I loved this white lampshade & I actually had a very similar one in pink in my bedroom when I was a little girl!!!
*
With Living Retro I did find that I wanted to look through the photo's rather than read about the homes & just generally scanned the writing but saying this I did read it when I picked up the book again on a second reading & found it was really interesting.
The photos (by Andrew Wood) of the wonderful homes make you super excitied to flick through quickly wanting more!
*
*
As we moved to a new home only 2 months ago we are completely re-designing & so this book certainly helped with our thoughts on retro design & helped to condense & focus more clearly my thoughts on what I like & what I don't like!
 
All in all this is a really wonderful book filled to the brim with retro styled homes, real homes, so if this is your style or you are just getting into retro for your home I'm sure you will love this book!
 
is available from Ryland & Peters
for £19.99
*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message.
Love Alison
x