Monday, 14 September 2009
*Lemon Meringue Pie for Taryn*
This is the recipe for you Taryn aged 14, that you left me a message about.
Ok so Lemon Meringue Pie from an old stork book, here goes ...
1 cooked 18-20cm flan case
25g Stork Margarine
3 x 15ml spoons (3 tbsp) cornflour
grated rind of 1 large lemon & juice made up to 275ml with water
2 egg yolks, size 3
2 egg whites, size 3
75g castor sugar
Glace cherries & angelica to decorate (see this book is very old!)
Oven pre-heart to fairly hot 200 degrees C ~ Gas mark 6 or slow 150 degrees C ~ Gas mark 2 see stage 8.
Shelf third from top
1. Place Stork, cornflour, juice & water & sugar in a medium sized saucepan.
2. Stirring continuously over moderate heat, bring to the boil & cook 2-3 minutes until thickened and smooth.
3. Cool slightly, beat in egg yolks & stir in lemon rind.
4. Pour into cooked flan case.
5. Whisk egg whites stiffly, until they stand in peaks.
6. Add sugar & whisk as stiffly as before.
7. Pile over lemon mixture, sealing filling completely.
8. To serve hot bake in fairly hot oven for 10-15 minutes.
9. To serve cold bake in slow oven for 20-30 minutes.
Hope this recipe makes sense as it is originally Pineapple Meringue Pie & the lemon is the variation recipe, so I substituted the pineapple for what they suggest for the lemon in the recipe so hope it makes sense & works!